Air Transat lifted off at Vancouver International Airport on Tuesday, July 30th runway at 5:30 pm headed for Frankfurt Airport. The reason my first post has been so delayed is that my accommodation in Turin, Italy does not have wifi. I am in a restaurant in Turin that has wifi so I can start making my posts.
Arrived in Frankfurt Flughafen (Airport) Wednesday, July 31st about 12 Noon their time so the flight time was 9 1/2 hours. Pretty uneventful flight, although there was a baby and a young girl sitting behind me that we either crying or kicking the seat or creating other havoc. Lot to ask the kids and the parents to be confined for such a long time and on a plane. Frankfurt was very warm, although overcast. Took the tram from arriving at Terminal 2 to Terminal 1. Withdrew quite a lot of Euro at a ATM given the withdrawal fee makes it more logical to reduce the frequency of withdrawals. Using an ATM works for me as there is a higher charge for exchanging currency or going to the bank.
A layover of around five hours as my Lufthansa flight is not due to leave until 5:15 pm. I have been in the Frankfurt airport Terminal 1 many times with Lana. Grabbed a sandwich and nougat croissant to tide me over. With the introduction of technology in the travel industry, I needed to use my passport at a kiosk to get my boarding pass. I have one piece of luggage and this I can drop off myself by following instructions on the machine. A Lufthansa employee helped attach the luggage tag to my bag and then on the belt it went. Machine printed my baggage receipt. I never even saw an agent for the entire transaction.
One thing about the airports is the ripoff on food and beverage prices. I paid 3.85 Euro for a 0.75 bottle of water. Security was very busy with a long queue. At least I didn't have to take off my shoes. You can get free wifi at the airport, but that lasts for only 30 minutes and that is it. Lots of English spoken everywhere. At Gate B02 by 3:25 pm so early. Stretched out on a couple of seats and tried to nap or at least rest.
Turin, Italy is located in the northwest corner of Italy very close to the Italian Alps. Flying from Frankfurt to Turin you are over the Swiss Alps. Absolutely stunning on a clear blue sky day. Ice capped peaks, green water lakes/tarns, glaciers, hiking trails are visible, green coloured rivers and streams and deep valleys. Great view from 30,000 feet. Regrettably closer to the city of Turin the sky becomes very hazy from the blanket of smog. Good landing at the airport.
Fortunately, our team coach/player Donal Morgan arrived about the same time on a flight from Rome. We met at the baggage carousels around 6:30 pm. Another player, Alan, had arrived on another flight, but they had lost his luggage so he needed to fill out the paper work. My bag arrived so that was good. Beautiful sunny day in Turin as the three of us (Debbie - Donal's wife) waited in the long taxi queue. Taxi came along and it was pretty tight with three people and three pieces of luggage. The third piece of luggage was placed in the front passenger seat and the three of us were squeezed into the back seat. The Italian taxi driver was very fast and took lots of chances. Italian drivers can be very crazy! 31.30 Euro for the trip from airport to our apartments in downtown Turin.
My apartment was well as Donal's (just around the corner) was organized with Saltway Accommodations. A fellow on a scooter was waiting for us and then Maria the agent showed up. Received my key and then showed my apartment and how to work the air conditioner and some other equipment. My small one bedroom ground floor apartment is only 60 Euro per night so pretty inexpensive for Turin. I needed to pay the balance owing in cash. Sign the official forms requiring proof of passport number. The fellow told me to keep the a/c to 23 degrees and not have it running unless I was in the room. After he left, I lowered it to 18 degrees. The apartment seemed a good temperature. The a/c is located on the kitchen area wall and you use a remote control. Apartment is comfortable and small. The bedroom is separate. In addition, it has a washing machine which will be good given I am playing soccer and will need to wash my clothes.
The key to the apartment is a skeleton sized key. A smaller key for the front entrance as I am in the back of the courtyard and the entry doors are on the street: Via Cavour 14. The photo below is from the entry doors off the street. My apartment is at the very back. Great news as I don't get any street noise.
The three of us stopped for dinner at Focacceria Lagrange on Via Lagrange for rectangular pieces of focaccia that have pizza toppings. You pick out which style of pizza you want and they heat it up. Debbie and I enjoyed a Piedmont red wine d'Asti that was excellent. Turin is the capital of the Piedmont region of Italy. A very good pouring of wine for 3 Euro. We had two glasses each. ;-)
Of course, we ate out on the street. "Al Fresco" dining (eating outside) is the norm in most European places during the good weather. Beautiful blue sky above us and warm, but not hot weather. It is in the mid 20s and it is fairly late. All you need is shorts and a light shirt/tee shirt at any time of the day or night here. One of our team mates, Jose, met up with us at the restaurant with his wife and sister-in-law.
Before I forget, I am in Turin to play in the World Master Games in the over50 soccer bracket. There are about 15, 000 athletes registered and the youngest would be 30 years old. It is like the Olympics, but for older farts. Teams and athletes from around the world. I competed eight years ago in the over45 bracket in Edmonton. Our team is mostly from Vancouver and we call ourselves Vancouver United. We have one player from San Francisco and another from Boston. We have 15 players registered, although one player is already injured.
The six of us walk around the neighbourhood and we eventually stop at Rivareno for ice cream. The place is lined up. A waffle cone with two scoops in 2.50 Euro. The current exchange for Euro costs us about 40 cents per every Canadian dollar. My ice cream is delicious! Back to my apartment around 10:45 pm and while I should be very exhausted from the flying and the jet lag, I am doing pretty good with energy.
Very quickly just walking around Turin, the women regardless of age are all wearing stylish clothes and shoes. The teenagers even seem to be conscious of what they are wearing and the latest styles. Fashionable light dresses in the warm weather and even some stiletto heels on the cobblestones.
I decide to keep the air conditioner running while I attempt to sleep. I have very good customized ear plugs. Took 1/2 sleeping pill that helps get me to sleep. Woke up around 4:15 am. Fell asleep again around 7 am and up at 8:30 am.
No comments:
Post a Comment