The girls want to get some shopping in downtown Frankfurt. The Hauptwache is the main street in downtown Frankfurt where all the shopping occurs with many stores and restaurants. We get to the local train in the airport and take an S Bahn train to downtown. It is about a 25 minute wait for an S train. We got an all day group train pass for 15 Euro which will cover the three of us. A great deal!
First stop is lunch as we are all hungry. We stop at Solberfass'je Haxenhaus restaurant and of course get an outdoor seat. It is now very sunny and warm. Like Wiesbaden sitting outside can mean you will be dealing with wasps that like to land on your food and body and seem to swarm on some occasions. You hope for a good wind. The food was edible, but definitely by far the worse food I have eaten since arriving almost three weeks ago in Europe. It is located just off the Hauptwache so might cater more to tourists than locals?
Frankfurter sausages with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut
Typical German salad in this area.
Schweinshaxe with sauerkraut. By far the worst I have had of this dish which I normally love.
While the girls are shopping I make it to a Vodafone store as I need to activate my German Vodafone SIM card. My German phone number is +49 152 03230619. It costs me 15 Euro to add to my text, phone and data for a pay as you go plan. The clerk was about as rude as you can get. Just another example of German 'service'. In restaurants, service means you will wait and wait and wait. Slow, uncaring, not engaged would describe much of their service philosophy.
While I was reading some english newspapers, it began to rain. First time in a long time for me. I found a close cafe located in the middle of this huge walking/shopping street and ordered an Äppler Pur 0.25litre for 2.20 Euro. Basically, the Hessen state's favourite drink as a combination of apple wine and carbonated water. Delicious! As you can see I am doing sudoku. For the rest of the afternoon, it goes from lightly raining to sunny to cloudy to rainy to sunny.
Music playing, lots of beggars and huge crowds of shoppers and people strolling this open mall area. The girls return around 5 pm and have had some success shopping. We all have a drink and then plan to walk to the Altstadt area and the Main river.
Get a little lost trying to find the Altstadt, but we did find what must be considered Frankfurt's Chinatown.
I need to use a Starbucks restroom and in this place, you actually need to buy something as the receipt provides the code needed to open the restroom door. Lana finds a receipt on the floor and in I go. We have a great walk through the Altstadt and to the Main River. Back to the Hauptwache and then down into the subway system. Our destination is Apfelwein Wagner restaurant located in the Sachsenhausen district near Schweitzer Platz. Lana and I have been here before, but new to Tina. We find a table that is covered and get ready for some delicious food. Our waiter is typical of German service and our orders take forever. The food is good and we ended with apple strudel, but I forgot to get a picture before we demolished it.
Your order of apple wine comes with carbonated water.
Pour the apple wine (Apfelwein) into your glass.
Next pour the water into the apple wine and enjoy!
Handkasë (Hesse regional cheese) with onions and vinegar. Soft texture, smells bad but tastes great!
Veal schnitzel with green herb sauce. Delicious. The fried potatoes are yummy due to bacon fat and butter.
Lana's dish was boiled beef with fried potatoes.
We were close to the subway and one connection back downtown so we are in the airport train terminal. Nice night again. Regrettably, Tina needs to fly to London tomorrow morning to get back to work. We say our goodbyes. The wifi in our room is reasonably fast as I update today's blog. For the first day I am current. One weird occurrence was my last email photo included three photos from some other person taken at the restaurant.....
No comments:
Post a Comment