Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day 26 - Sunday, August 25th "On the Water, By the Water and Over the Water"

Oh yeah, wonder where Hamburg is located in Deutschland?


Another beautiful sunny and warm day in Hamburg. After I awoke, meditated for 30 minutes so a good start. Very quiet here as neither of my hosts are up and it is around 10 am after I have showered and had my breakfast of banana and blueberries. Spoke briefly with Janke who instructed me to take the #5 Bus south to get to Jungfernsteig which is at the southern end of Binnenalster lake. Both of these lakes are artificial as a result of placing a dam at a few places. It was recommended to get on one of the small boats that depart to Alsterrundfahrt for views north of Hamburg and the city scape, plus take some canals.

The instructions to take the #5 Bus were wrong as the bus driver told me to get off at the U3 Bahn station stop that I always use. Oh well, I figured out how to connect to the U2 Bahn and made it to Jungfernsteig station. When I got to the surface the street that borders the entire lake was blocked off due to a bicycle race. So many cyclists around the race and of course people cheering them on. Yikes, how do I get to the lake when this road is busy with a race? I did get to one of the areas where there were ropes and they occasionally would let someone race across to the other side. The fellow told me to check the subway station as there was a tunnel to the other side. Phew....


I did find the ticket area and there were boats queued up to take on passengers. The cashier spoke english and confirmed for 19 Euro I would get the two hour boat tour that went up into the canals and returned with no stops. It left at 11:45 and it was 11:20 am. Time to buy a bratwurst sandwich before we left. The map below provides good detail on the two lakes and Alster river flowing into the lakes from the north and the canal system. I was one of the last people to line up so consequently not much choice of seats. I did find a single seat at the back of the middle of boat beside the window so that was good. The boat left the dock around 11:35 - typical German timing. I was told to ask the Captain about an english guide and he handed me a small machine that provided an english description of what we were seeing. It was linked to GPS. The captain was on the microphone and very loud so not easy to distinguish what I heard from the small machine. I am certain I was the only english speaking tourist on board. Tables on both side that fit three persons on each side facing each other. They have a server that pours lots of beer, although nobody got drunk or silly.






































Just like our boat. Hmmm, another swan.

I had a great time and enjoyed the two hours. I learned lots about Hamburg, including their reverence of swans. During the cold winter, they ensure that all the swans are well looked after and will not starve. The size of these man-made lakes are smaller than New York's Central Park as a reference. I saw a Shiite mosque dating from 1966. The properties around the lake, the river and the canals are very expensive. In fact, one house recently sold for 9 million Euros. There are many sailboats, marinas, canoes, paddle boats, paddle boards, row boats, kayaks on the lake and the river Alster. People really get onto the lake and river and enjoy. 
 Lots of sailboats on the larger lake.
 shoreline of Binnenalster
 some quiet areas on the river Alster
Many stunning homes along the river, canals and the two lakes. Concrete along the lakes, river and canals. Typical to Europe as they don't leave it natural. 

Along many parts of the river and canals, beautiful homes, trees, lawns and many families enjoying the day canoeing, kayaking etc. The river is very gentle. There are even 3 person, 4 person and 8 person sculls practising. So many bridges we go under. Apparently, there are more bridges in Hamburg than both London and Amsterdam combined. One tourist spot is a church from 1295 that was originally Catholic and of course, they got the boot and the Protestants took over. Very windy today on the water. There are even some dragon boats tied up on the side of the river as a gift from one of the Asian countries. There is a hiking, walking, biking trail along the Alster river from its start to its conclusion in the two lakes. Some guys are fishing so there must be fish in the river and canals. We pass by the the world's largest cemetery in terms of size and number of burials (1.4 million). One of the earlier sights was the Atlantic Hotel which is frequented by a number of celebrities when they stay in Hamburg. Hey, I didn't get invited there!   :-)

The boat itself has some glass in the ceiling and a wide open middle so lots of natural sunlight. There is an Anglo-German club that dates back to post WWII as the British occupied and controlled northern German/Europe. We return to the end of Binnenalster and you can see it is a real hangout with restaurants, seating areas, tour boat tieups etc. I purchase a gelato of creme caramel for 1.30 Euros and grab a table to enjoy the scenery. The gelato was excellent.

I decide to walk along the western side of the lakes to get to Alster Park. Quite a good walk along tree lined paths shared with bikers, runners and pedestrians. When I first sit down I discover a stain right in my crotch area! Probably the gelato! I take a picture of the US Embassy in Hamburg. See the flag! Since 9/11 there have been 50 guards posted. The Hamburgers think it looks like the White House. 

I enjoyed relaxing in a couple of spots and did some sudokus and enjoyed looking at the lake. Despite the windy day the lake was busy and on the shoreline. I got some good walking in and decided to get to St. Michaelis Kirch (Church) as it has the highest viewing of Hamburg from its observation deck. Navigate a switch on the U Bahn to arrive at U3 stop Rodingsmarkt. Walk along Ludwig Erhard Strasse west and then as I look to my left the tall church is looming over me. 5 Euro to get to the observation deck. This is a baroque style church with a 132 metre spire so it really sticks up in the Hamburg skyline. Of course, being Europe there are a number of other church spires.
Thank you Wikipedia.

There are two ways to get to the observation deck. One is to take the elevator and the other is to walk up the inside stairs. Yup, I take the stairs and it is a long climb. Get a good sweat in and run into only three other people walking up. Once you decide to walk up that is pretty much it. There are different levels though where you can take a break if you like. Spectacular views though! There are some stairs even above the observation deck for better views and away from the screens. Check out this pic. I know how the pigeons feel....   ;-)

These are views from various sides of the upper deck. You can see the Elbe River harbour with its many boats and wharves.
 View of the lakes I was on earlier. As you can see, these lakes are in the middle of the city.
 View northeast.
 View south to the river Elbe.
 View east.
View west.

Take the elevator down of course. I am not that crazy. Go inside the church. It is very beautiful and is used as a service was just starting up as I left. I sat down in a pew and updated my travel diary and took a rest. Around 5:30 pm and time for me to look for dinner. 
Very clean lines in this church and lots of white.

I sit at a park to map out my dinner strategy. The park is Der Michel ind Bismarck. It is unremarkable, but is a good illustration of this city that prides itself on having a huge number of parks and public spaces.

I tried to find a restaurant that was recommended in a guidebook, but gave up as it was already 6 pm and I am too hungry. Back into the U3 and get off at Schlump station. There is an Imbiss franchise and I ask for a plate of a pastry that is filled with spinach and cheese. It wasn't good, but I have had worse and it does fill me up. I ate outside in the setting sun and watched people. It is close to the bus stop and U Bahn station.

Some kind of ethnic dish. I returned to the apartment around 7:15 pm so was gone for around nine hours. Another full day, but much of it was relaxing given I was either on the water, by the water or over the water. FaceTime with Lana, but no luck with Renée and Georgia.   

No comments:

Post a Comment