Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 21 - Tuesday, August 21st Vodafone Hell

Woke up in our Hilton Garden Inn located at the Frankfurt am Main airport. We were in no rush to do anything so took our time getting mobile. Eventually, we made it to the S Bahn train track 1 and got off at Hauptwache station.

Used a McCafe for their toilet. A fellow sits beside the doorway and once you are finished you are expected to drop a coin in the small bowl. He offered a paper towel after I washed my hands. My interesting day started with my visit to the Vodafone location where I had upgraded my German SIM card with 15 Euro. That occurred around 2 pm and by the time I had woken in the morning my balance was down to 9.95 Euro! What the heck! I purchased the SIM card in Heidelberg last March 2012 when we were staying there for 5 weeks. I had updated it in September 2012 as well with no problems.

The Vodafone store I had dealt with yesterday with the worst customer service stated they couldn't help me, but provided a phone number for their customer service people. 22911 number. Discovered quickly that number doesn't work, but to call 017 22290229 and press 3 for customer service. Long wait, but Andrea was my agent. Basically, why was I charged more than 5 Euro in less than 24 hours, when I made no phone calls, only two texts to Lana's international number and used my email for about 7 minutes. My original contract with Vodafone was 29cents for texts, 99cents for one day internet/email and 29 cents per phone call within Germany of course. You can check your balance by dialing *100#.

He speaks good english and reasonably patient. He needs confirmation of my name. When I ask for specific details on the charges he needs to know my "personal password" that I allegedly gave myself when I signed the contract. I know for a fact that did not occur. OK, can I provide more details like my birthdate and my address in Heidelberg. Yup, so he will finally provide details.

Within five minutes of leaving the Vodafone store I was charged 2.49 Euro for "option." What the heck is an "option?" He doesn't know himself. He then says I must have asked for internet in the store. Why would I ask for internet when I pay 99cents a day when using the internet? During the first day, I did use my email and the two texts which only add up  2.05 Euro so that explains the difference. The 2.49 Euro "option" is the difference. After consulting with his supervisor, he decides to credit me 2.49 and not charge me for the 30 minute phone call we were on. Given this is their customer service line and I called them because of their error, why would I pay to call them? Makes no sense! What the ____.

My new plan is 9 Euro cents to call within Germany
9 Euro cents to text a Germany number
1.83 Euro per minute to call Canada
41 Euro cents to text Canada
9.99 Euro for unlimited internet/email usage for one month
All a good deal and better what I had. I don't pay an "activation" fee for this.

To top up my phone/text I can go to any store and pay for a "Call Now" card and the cheapest is 10 Euro so that is good. I have 13 more days in Deutschland so this should work well.

We have lunch at a casual sausage stand where we paid 2.30 Euro for a bratwurst in a bun. The sausages were excellent and cheap. Head to Starbucks as Lana wants to order her usual chai tea latte. Her order in Deutsch:  ein tall chai tea latte kit soma milch, extra heisse, ohne washer, ohne schaum.
Order translated to English: a tall chai tea latte with soya, extra hot, no water and no foam.

Starbucks has an outdoor eating area adjacent to the outdoor mall/subway station. We can't access their free wifi, but I don't care as I now have a great internet plan. Sun shining now and close to 20 degrees before 2 pm. It gets up to around 24 degrees. Of course, being outside means tolerating the cigarette smoke that wafts over continuously as many Europeans smoke. Plus, the occasional wasp attack.

One observation is that Deutschland is relatively clean and tidy as a rule. Although, this is another work day hordes of people are walking and shopping. Lana has more stores to visit this afternoon. Surprised?  ;-)

We are back to the hotel room around 4:30 pm. Time for Lana to nap. We are meeting our German friend Markus at the U5 station at Konstablerwache for 7:15 pm. We leave from the airport around 6:30 and arrive at the station around 7:10 and Markus is there within a couple of minutes. We are going to Café Größenwahn located in the Nordend and in a funky Commercial Drive type of neighbourhood recommended by Markus. Very much a local neighbourhood restaurant not catering to tourists. Another great night of blue sky and warmish weather although towards the end it got chilly at around 15 degrees Celsius. At least there were no wasps attacking us. The restaurant varies their menu each day dependent on the availability of the local groceries. The menu is not limited to German food and in fact it crosses many cuisines. We sit outside. Very good meal and the wine was excellent, including apple wine and my Rosé and Riesling from the Rheinhessen region. 

 One half of the wine menu.
 Left page of the menu.
 Right page of the menu.
 Markus in the middle.
 Couple of guys who had a polaroid and took a fantastic picture of the three of us which we now have.
 Wurst salad. Basically, German bologna salad.
 Roasted veal with Chantrelle mushrooms and pasta.
 Chicken in orange sauce with broccoli. 
Blueberrry tart - yummy!

Long walk from the subway stop to the restaurant, but well worth the effort. We stayed until 9:45 pm and then walked back to the subway stop above ground. Back to the original underground station and then to the S8 train onto the airport. We are back in our room 10:40 pm. Our last night together in Deutschland as Lana flies to Vancouver tomorrow afternoon and I am off by train to Berlin in the morning.    :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment